235 g whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
125 g caster (superfine) sugar
100 g plain (all purpose) flour
20 g Dutch-process cocoa powder
4 g salt
25 g unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
140 g frozen raspberries
115 g caster (superfine) sugar
30 g liquid glucose
CHOCOLATE SOAKING SYRUP
240 g caster (superfine) sugar
240 ml water
90 g Dutch-process cocoa powder
40 g raspberry jam
180 g desiccated coconut
25 g Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 165°C (fan-forced). Whisk the eggs, vanilla, and caster sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer to create a foam.
- Fold through the sifted flour, cocoa powder, and salt through by hand.
- In a large mixing bowl, add a little bit of the sponge mixture to the melted butter and mix together, then add the remaining sponge and fold through to combine.
- Place the sponge mixture into a lined 160 mm square cake tin and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature before covering in plastic wrap and placing in the freezer, ensuring that it is well wrapped before freezing.
- Place the raspberries, sugar and glucose in a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring. Heat until it reaches 103°C, or if you don’t have a thermometer, continue testing the jam by placing a small amount on a chilled plate until you have a soft jam consistency (this will give you an idea of what the consistency will be like once set).
- Remove the jam from the saucepan and transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface.
CHOCOLATE SOAKING SYRUP
- Combine the sugar, water, cocoa powder, and raspberry jam in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and mix together with a whisk or a stick blender. Once combined, set aside to cool.
- To make the coconut coating, combine the desiccated coconut and cocoa powder by rubbing them together by hand in a bowl.
- Remove the sponge from the freezer and trim the top with a serrated edged knife. While still frozen, divide the sponge into nine equal portions by cutting it with a serrated edged knife.
- With the handle of a teaspoon, create a hole in the centre of each sponge cube, but do not go through to the base. Either with a spoon or a piping bag, place the remaining raspberry jam into the hole and fill it to the top. Dip each filled sponge into the chocolate soaking syrup and immediately into the coconut coating, covering each side with the coconut.
NOTE: These lamingtons are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature for approximately two days.