250 g pure icing sugar, sieved
225 g desiccated coconut
200 g sweetened condensed milk
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
1 kg good quality dark couverture chocolate 54%
desiccated or shaved coconut, for sprinkling
- Line the base and sides of a slice tin, approximately 275mm x 175mm and 32mm in height, with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine the sieved icing sugar and desiccated coconut.
- Add in the condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- Press the mixture into the prepared slice tin and place into the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Once firm, cut the coconut slab into individual bars, 80mm x 30mm in size.
- To temper the dark chocolate, place it into a microwave-safe plastic bowl, heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between. Once you have 50% solids and 50% liquid, stir vigorously until the solids have completely melted.
- Using a toothpick and fork, dip each coconut bar into the tempered chocolate. Transfer to a sheet of baking paper.
- Before the chocolate sets, finish with a sprinkle of coconut.
NOTE: Before pouring into the slice tin, if the mixture appears too sticky, add more coconut. Alternatively, if the mixture appears too dry, add more condensed milk.