180 ml full cream milk
12 g instant yeast
50 g caster sugar
1 whole egg, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
60 g unsalted butter, melted
400 g baker’s flour
¾ tsp salt
baker’s flour, for dusting
50 g spreadable butter, softened
50 g dark brown sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon
100 g good quality milk couverture chocolate 33%, roughly chopped
130 g icing sugar
100 ml water
½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Warm the milk to 40˚C and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and then add the sugar, whole egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together.
- Continue mixing on medium speed for 8 minutes, or you can knead by hand for the same length of time.
- Once the dough forms a slightly sticky ball, remove from the mixer and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a warm towel and allow the dough to sit at room temperature for up to 1 ½ hours, until it doubles in size.
- Lightly dust the workbench with flour and roll the dough into a rectangle, 350 x 220mm in size.
- Leaving a 15mm strip on the long edges of the rectangle, spread the softened butter out evenly over the dough.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon before sprinkling it over the butter. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the roughly chopped chocolate on top of the sugar and cinnamon.
- Tightly roll the dough starting from the short edge. Adjust the roll to ensure the seam is underneath.
- Using a sharp knife, trim a small amount off each end of the roll.
- Cut the dough into 9 equal portions, approximately 25mm in width.
- Lightly spray a square baking tin, 220mm x 220mm in size, with vegetable oil spray.
- Arrange the cut scrolls evenly in the baking tin, ensuring the cut side is facing up.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a warm tea towel. Allow to sit at room temperature for 40-45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 170˚C, fan forced.
- Bake the chocolate scrolls in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until just golden brown.
- Prepare the glaze while the scrolls are in the oven.
- Place the icing sugar, water and ground cinnamon in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Brush the glaze over the scrolls once they are removed from the oven.