110 g unsalted butter
55 g pure icing sugar
15 g dutch processed cocoa powder
1 vanilla bean, cut and scraped
20 g almond meal
180 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
plain flour, for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder. Mix until there are no lumps of butter remaining, scraping down the sides of the bowl as required.
- Add in the egg while continuing to mix, followed by the vanilla.
- Add in the almond meal, flour and baking powder. Continue to mix until the ingredients just come together as a dough.
- Press the dough into an even, flat square and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place into the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 170˚C, fan forced.
- Lightly dust the workbench with flour and roll the dough out until it is approximately 2mm in thickness.
- Cut the dough into squares, 25mm x 25mm in size.
- Place the squares onto a lined baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool at room temperature before storing in an airtight container.