125 g unsalted butter, melted
200 g brown sugar
120 g plain flour
50 g desiccated coconut
pinch of ground cinnamon
50 g good quality milk couverture chocolate 33%, roughly chopped
80 g unsalted butter, cubed
80 g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
395 g sweetened condensed milk
90 g good quality dark couverture chocolate 54%
250 g good quality milk couverture chocolate 33%
100 ml fresh cream 35% fat
1 tsp vanilla extract
30 g liquid glucose
pinch of sea salt
15g desiccated coconut
- Heat the oven to 160˚C, fan forced.
- Grease a baking tin, 275mm x 175mm and 35mm in height. Line the base and sides of the tin with baking paper and set aside until required.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or using a bowl and wooden spoon, mix the melted butter and brown sugar until combined.
- Add in the flour, coconut and cinnamon. Continue to mix until the ingredients come together as a dough.
- Add in the chopped milk chocolate and mix to combine.
- Press the dough evenly into the base of the prepared baking tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside at room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 140˚C, fan forced.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Once the butter has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved, reduce the heat to low, add in the condensed milk and continuously mix with a whisk.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, continue to mix and cook for a further 3 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat and add in the dark chocolate. Mix until the chocolate has melted and incorporated into the caramel.
- Pour the caramel filling into the baking tin over the biscuit base. Spread out the caramel to create an even layer.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature.
- Place the chocolate into a bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, boil the cream, vanilla, glucose and salt before pouring it over the chocolate.
- Gently whisk until the chocolate has completely melted and incorporated into the other ingredients.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled caramel filling and use a spatula to create an even surface. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Place the slice into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the caramel slice from the tin and slice into 18 rectangles, approximately 90mm x 28mm in size.