80 ml water
110 g caster (superfine) sugar
105 g pecans, roughly chopped
vegetable oil, for greasing
315 ml fresh cream 35% fat
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
160 g caster (superfine) sugar
55 g liquid glucose
60 g unsalted butter
20 g honey
3 g salt
1 g bicarbonate of soda
80 g good-quality dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Combine sugar and water together in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Add in the pecans and continue to boil for a further 3 minutes.
- Strain off the excess syrup and place the pecans on a lined tray. Roast in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until dry and crispy.
- Lightly oil a 16 cm x 16 cm tart square and place it on a flat tray lined with baking paper.
- In a medium-to-large saucepan, bring the cream and vanilla bean paste just to the boil over medium-high heat, then remove and set aside.
- Place the sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir it gently with a spatula until a golden colour is achieved and all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the boiled cream into the caramel to stop it cooking, then add the glucose, butter, honey and salt. Whisk continuously until you reach 118°C. Turn off the heat and add in the bicarbonate of soda, chocolate and pecans.
- Pour into the greased tray. Leave to set at room temperature (not in the fridge). Cut into either rectangles or squares with an oiled knife. Store in an air-tight container.