6 slices of bacon
150 g brown sugar
240 ml full cream milk
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
140 g plain (all purpose) flour
35 g Dutch-process cocoa powder
25 g caster (superfine) sugar
¾ teaspoon of baking soda
75 g good quality milk chocolate chips
pinch of salt
vegetable oil spray, for greasing
icing (confectioners’) sugar, for dusting
vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a tray with baking paper and place the slices of bacon on top. Sprinkle the bacon with half of the brown sugar. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the bacon starts to colour and then turn each piece of bacon over and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Continue to cook until crispy.
- Combine the milk, egg and butter in a bowl and whisk until blended.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder and salt, and mix well. Add the milk mixture and whisk just until the dry ingredients are moistened (the batter will be slightly lumpy). Add the milk chocolate chips.
- Grease the egg rings by spraying the inside with an oil spray then place on a flat top Teflon-coated sandwich press. Fill the egg rings halfway with the batter and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the batter is set around the edges. Carefully turn over the pancake, cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the pancakes are cooked through.
- Stack two pancakes on top of each other and dust with icing sugar. Serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, two strips of bacon and finish with a drizzle of maple syrup.