1 tbsp coconut oil
50 g popcorn kernels
100 g caster sugar
1 tsp sea salt
200 g good quality milk couverture chocolate 33%
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat until hot and begins to smoke slightly.
- Add in the popcorn kernels and immediately sit a sieve on top of the saucepan.
- As the kernels begin to pop, turn the heat down to low and shake the saucepan as required.
- As the popping subsides, reduce the heat to low and add the sugar to the sieve. Continue to shake the saucepan until the sugar has sieved through.
- Remove the sieve and continue to shake the pot until the sugar has caramelised.
- Remove from the heat and stir the popcorn to ensure it is completely coated.
- Transfer to a sheet of baking paper and quickly separate the popcorn using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the salt over the top of the popcorn and allow to cool completely at room temperature.
- Place the milk chocolate into a saucepan on an induction cooktop on setting 4. Stir continuously until you have 50% solids and 50% liquid. Transfer the chocolate into a heat-proof plastic bowl and stir vigorously until the solids have completely melted.
- Place the cooled popcorn into a bowl. Pour the tempered chocolate over the popcorn and stir to coat.
- To create clusters, spoon tablespoons of the chocolate popcorn onto a sheet of baking paper. Allow to set at room temperature.