200 g good quality dark couverture chocolate 54%
500 g fresh cream 35% fat
80 g egg yolks
75 g caster sugar
pinch of salt
caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Place the chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl and cover with cling wrap. Place into the steam oven for 5 minutes until chocolate has melted.
- Remove bowl from steam oven and mix to combine cream and melted chocolate.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk until aerated and pale.
- Slowly add in the warm chocolate mixture followed by the salt while continuing to whisk.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and into a jug. Pour it evenly between 10 ramekins, 65mm in diameter and 40mm in depth.
- Place ramekins into a large perforated steam tray and cover loosely with foil.
- Place into the steam oven at 85ᵒC for 25 minutes, until the crème brulee is wobbly but not watery when gently shaken.
- Remove the ramekins from the perforated steam tray and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle sugar over the surface of the crème brulee and use a blow torch to gently caramelise. Serve immediately.
HINT: Cover loosely with foil, as the brulee will rise and can stick to the foil.