75 g good quality gold chocolate (caramel) 30%
425 g Granny Smith apples (8 medium apples)
15 g unsalted butter, melted
½ tsp ground cinnamon
45 g brown sugar
128 g plain flour
12 g baking powder
pinch of ground cinnamon
95 g unsalted butter, softened
95 g caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 egg yolks
plain flour, for dusting
chewy caramel toffees, chopped to 10mm cubes
- Cut 9 discs out of baking paper, 80mm in diameter.
- Place the chocolate into a microwave-safe plastic bowl, heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between. Once you have 50% solids and 50% liquid, stir vigorously until the solids have completely melted.
- Spread the chocolate onto the discs of baking paper and allow them to set at room temperature.
- Once set, peel the baking paper off the chocolate discs. Set aside until required.
- Peel and core the apples before dicing them into cubes approximately 15mm in size.
- Place the apples, melted butter, cinnamon and sugar into a bowl and mix to coat.
- Transfer the apple mixture to a heated frying pan and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Place the apples into a sieve to strain.
- Set the apples aside at room temperature until they have completely cooled. Alternatively, store the apples in the refrigerator overnight until required.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, place the softened butter, sugar and salt. Mix until completely smooth.
- Gradually add the egg yolks while continuing to mix.
- Add in the sifted ingredients and mix on low until the dough comes together.
- Press the dough into an even, flat square and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Heat the oven to 170˚C, fan forced.
- Lightly dust the workbench with flour and roll the dough out until it is approximately 5mm in thickness. Place any remaining dough in the freezer for 20 minutes and reroll.
- Lightly grease 9 egg rings, 75mm in diameter, with vegetable oil spray. Use the rings to cut discs of pastry. Transfer the rings, with the discs of pastry inside, onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. The pastry will rise and then sink in the centre towards the end of baking.
- Keep the oven on but remove the tray from the oven.
- Once the rings are cool enough to touch, remove the rings from the pastry.
- Arrange the cooled apple on top of the pastry discs, ensuring that the apple pieces are compact and reasonably flat on top.
- Place approximately 8 cubes of the chewy caramel on top of the apple and return to the pre-heated oven for 3 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and remove the tray. Immediately place a prepared chocolate disc on top of each tart.