By Kirsten Tibballs
A combination of three of my favourite things; coffee, cake, & chocolate!
SERVES: 1 x 3 layer cake (serves 10-12)
PREPARATION: 45 minutes
COOKING: 30 minutes
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
340g plain flour
50g corn starch
1 tsp salt
12g baking powder
½ tsp bi-carbonate soda
310g unsalted butter, room temperature
360g caster sugar
4 whole eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
120ml coffee, Jura Espresso
200g sour cream
- Heat the oven to 170°C, fan forced.
- Grease and line 3 round cake tins, 180mm in diameter.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, corn starch, salt, baking powder and bi-carbonate soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until smooth and creamy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the eggs and vanilla bean paste and continue to beat on high speed until combined. The butter mixture should look light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, use the espresso function on the Jura Coffee Machine to produce 120ml of espresso.
- In a separate bowl, gradually add the espresso to the sour cream while whisking.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the remaining ingredients, alternating between the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture.
- Transfer the batter evenly between the prepared cake tins.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 30 minutes. The cakes will be ready when a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature before removing from the tins.
Coffee Chocolate Cream
380g good quality milk chocolate
80ml coffee, Jura Espresso
110g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
pinch of sea salt
30g unsalted butter, cubed
350g fresh cream 35% fat
- Place the milk chocolate into a bowl.
- Use the espresso function on the Jura Coffee Machine to produce 80ml of espresso. Pour the espresso over the chocolate and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, vanilla and salt. Heat until the ingredients come to the boil.
- Once boiled, pour the syrup over the chocolate and espresso. Whisk by hand to combine.
- Add in the butter and allow to stand for 5 minutes before whisking until completely incorporated.
- Add in the cream and whisk to combine.
- Place into the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
80ml coffee, Jura Cold Brew
1 tsp coffee beans, crushed
20g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
1 tsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- Trim the top of each cake to ensure each layer is flat.
- Use the cold brew function on the Jura Coffee Machine to produce 80ml of cold brew.
- Whip the coffee chocolate cream until it holds.
- Place the first cake onto a cake board or serving plate and brush generously with the cold brew before spreading a third of the coffee chocolate cream over the cake.
- Repeat this process with the remaining 2 layers of cake, cold brew and cream.
- To garnish, arrange the crushed coffee beans and chopped chocolate on top of the coffee chocolate cream and dust with cocoa powder.