95 g unsalted butter
45 g icing (confectioners’) sugar
30 g whole eggs
40 g almond meal
½ tsp salt
95 g plain (all purpose) flour
plain (all purpose) flour, for dusting
unsalted butter, for greasing
250 ml sweetened condensed milk
180 g egg yolks
125 ml passionfruit juice
80 g good quality white chocolate
250 g unsalted butter
300 g caster (superfine) sugar
150 g egg whites
- Combine the butter and sieved icing sugar into either the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a food processor. Mix until there are no lumps of butter left.
- Add in the eggs followed by the dry ingredients and mix until it comes together as a dough. Press into an even flat square and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least one hour, or until the pastry is firm.
- Prepare a tray lined with baking paper. Dust a bench surface with flour and roll the pastry out to 3-4 mm thickness. Cut out 80 mm discs, place each disc on the lined tray and freeze for at least one hour, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Take a Teflon coated muffin/cupcake tray and turn it upside down. If both sides of the muffin tray are not Teflon coated, lightly grease the back of the tray with a small amount of butter. Once the discs are frozen, place each disc (while still frozen) over each muffin shape on the upturned tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the tarts from the oven and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Gently remove the tart shells from the muffin tray and turn them the right way up. Set aside.
- Place the condensed milk, egg yolks and passionfruit juice in a saucepan and stir on a low heat until you reach 80°C. Strain the mixture and whisk in the white chocolate. Whisk in the diced butter a piece at a time. Allow to cool slightly.
- Pour 50g of the mixture into each of the prepared tart shells, approximately three-quarters full, and place in the fridge for one hour before serving.
- Heat the sugar and egg whites together to 60°C over a Bain-Marie.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and mix to create a medium to firm peak.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the passionfruit filling, creating a swirl effect with the spoon.