35 g caster (superfine) sugar
25 ml water
125 g slivered almonds
40 g pistachios
200 g good quality dark chocolate
38 ml fresh cream
180 ml condensed milk
68 g crispy almonds (recipe above)
60 g shortbread biscuits, chopped
25 g glace cherries, chopped
icing (confectioners’) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Boil the sugar and water together in a small saucepan until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the almonds in a bowl. Pour the sugar syrup over the almonds and mix together. Place the almonds onto a lined baking tray and place into the preheated oven. Roast for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown, turning the almonds every 5 minutes to ensure they roast evenly. Remove from the oven and leave at room temperature to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and roast the pistachios for 8-10 minutes. Remove the pistachios from the oven and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl until it is just half melted.
- Boil the cream in a medium saucepan. Once boiled, immediately add in the condensed milk while still on the stove and stir gently with a spatula over low heat for one minute. Add in the chocolate and stir to combine, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add in the pistachios, almonds, biscuits and cherries. Mix until combined.
- Prepare a large piece of plastic wrap on your workbench. Place a sheet of baking paper on the bench and dust with icing sugar. Place the salami mixture onto the baking paper and roughly shape it into a log. Using the baking paper, lift the sides and roll it until you create an even salami shape. Keep it in the baking paper and place onto a sheet plastic wrap and wrap it up securely. Leave in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set.
- Unwrap the log and roll in icing sugar. Slice to serve.